Mr. Hubbs has been a frequent commenter on blog posts and mainstream media posts about autism, or about vaccination issues, for the last decade.
His comments consist almost entirely of fact-free rants, conspiracy theories, and insults to others.
Evidently, Mr. Hubbs has a high school diploma and no further education in science or medicine (source).
In 2011, Mr. Hubbs falsely claimed that his site, lowellsfacts.com had been taken down by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Here is an analysis of the facts of the matter at Ars Technica, No, ICE didn’t seize your domain; you’ve just been punked.
Mr. Hubbs is a great fan and supporter of other anti-vaccine second-tier figures such as Mary Tocco and Sherri Tenpenny, who we will cover in later posts.
Mr. Hubbs has several (perhaps as many as five) convictions for Driving Under the Influence (DUI). This post has images of several of the convictions.
To summarize, I think we can safely say a person or organization is anti-vaccine if he or she exhibits at least three of the following points. Let's tot up Mr. Hubbs's score
- Claiming that all vaccines are unsafe and ineffective Yes
- Claiming better sanitation and nutrition account for the 20th century decline in vaccine-preventable diseases Yes
- Claiming that vaccines cause diseases and conditions such as autism, asthma, SIDS, or shaken baby syndrome Yes
- Claiming that anecdotal evidence is superior to scientific evidence; rejecting science and epidemiology Yes
- Cherry picking and misrepresenting the evidence Yes
- Using logical fallacies without shame in arguing Yes
- Conspiracy mongering Yes
- Silencing criticism (especially by deleting onlin material), rather than responding to it Yes
- (If in business) Profiting from the sale of products and services that spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about vaccines, or products and services that are said to be superior to vaccines and conventional medicine in preventing disease No
Hubbs is a would be a trivial, if offensive, figure in the anti-vaccine movement if it weren't for how active he is in comments. His false allegations have to be countered, even if they aren't in shouting distance of reality.